We offer a comprehensive small and exotic animal ophthalmology service, we can also accept equine referrals via Cambridge Equine Hospital.
The Ophthalmology Service is run by James Oliver, supported by Georgina Fricker, Lorraine Fleming and Renata Stavinohova (Consultants) and Tom Large, Inês Freitas, Catarina Goncalves and Hannah Joyce (Residents).
Our extensive range of diagnostic techniques includes slit lamp biomicroscopy, direct and indirect ophthalmoscopy, tonometry, gonioscopy and electroretinography. We have access to ultrasonography (including contrast-enhanced ultrasound facilities), radiography, CT and MRI; and our on-site clinical pathology laboratory ensures a rapid turnaround of results.
We offer the combination of expertise, experience and access to advanced technology for treating a full range of conditions. Our state-of-the-art operating theatre is equipped with a modern operating microscope to create the best possible foundation for surgery of the delicate ocular tissues, including conjunctival, corneal and intraocular structures.
The surgical options offered routinely include:
- Cataract surgery (phacoemulsification and intraocular lens placement)
- Lens luxation surgery
- Corneal surgery (grafting, transpositions, keratectomy)
- Conjunctival surgery, including surgeries of the third eyelid
- Glaucoma surgery
- Face lifts and corrective eyelid surgery (including reconstruction)
- Enucleations/intraorbital and intrascleral prostheses
- Cryosurgery (for conditions such as distichiasis, glaucoma, neoplasia and retinal detachment)
Our Ophthalmology Service is pleased to offer advice to colleagues in primary care practice.