Visit our Internal Medicine service.
The Internal Medicine Service is led by Ferran Valls supported by Simon Tappin, Jess Florey, Joana Aguiar and Mayank Seth (Consultant Specialists), 5 Internal Medicine Residents and 7 Medicine Nurses.
Our highly experienced team offers a full range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including:
- Upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy and biopsy;
- Tracheobronchoscopy and bronchoalveolar lavage;
- Rhinoscopy (rigid and flexible, anterograde and retrograde) and biopsy;
- Urethrocystoscopy (in male and female dogs and female cats);
- Foreign body retrievals (airways, oesophagus, stomach and urogenital);
- Placement of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tubes and J- through G- feeding tubes;
- Endoscopic stent placement using interventional radiology;
- Balloon dilatation of strictures with intralesional anti-fibrotic medication injections;
- Thoracoscopy and laparoscopy performed by colleagues in Soft Tissue Surgery.
- Holter monitoring and interpretation
We have a great deal of experience in dealing with complex endocrinopathies and collaborate with colleagues involved in laboratory assessment of endocrine conditions. Working closely with our clinical pathologists allows us to manage haematological and immune-mediated diseases. For example, we can obtain bone marrow analyses within minutes of collection. Using sophisticated imaging and endoscopy, we are able to undertake staged investigation of gastrointestinal complaints, such as vomiting, regurgitation, diarrhoea and weight loss. We also diagnose and treat hepatic disorders and those of the urogenital tract. Our multi-disciplinary approach to cases, with support from Specialists in related disciplines and our on-site laboratory, ensures that each patient receives the highest possible standard of care. In particular, we benefit from access to sophisticated imaging equipment including 3D ultrasound, MRI and CT scanners and digital radiography, supported by a large team of diagnostic imaging Specialists. Our veterinary staff are pleased to offer advice to colleagues in primary care.